By Brenda R Gentry DDS, PA
Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that covers our teeth and, when we
eat something, these bacteria release acids that attack the tooth
When these attacks are repeated over time, the enamel will break down and this will eventually lead to cavities.
When plaque is not removed through daily brushing and cleaning it
hardens into calculus or tartar. When tartar collects above the gum
line, brushing and cleaning between the teeth becomes more difficult.
The gum tissue can become swollen or may bleed. This is called
gingivitis and it is the early stage of periodontal (gum) disease.
There are several steps you can take to protect yourself against this happening:
– Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
– Clean between teeth daily with floss or an interdental cleaner
– Eat a balanced diet and limit the number of snacks between meals
– Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams
– Ask your dentist about sealants these are protective coatings that can be applied to the back teeth where decay often starts.
If you take steps to remove the plaque each day, you have a greater chance of avoiding tooth and gum problems.
About This Author
Brenda R Gentry DDS, PA
At Brenda R Gentry DDS, PA dentist office in Pflugerville TX, your smile is our top priority. Dr. Brenda Gentry & entire team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. Part of our commitment to serving our patients includes providing information that help…
Read More »
More Articles From This Author
Some tips on overcoming nerves when going to the dentist
Some people get a bit nervous about the idea of going to the dentist.
As a result of the major progress that has been made in diagnosis and
treatment, the process gets more comfortable all the time. So you may be
But, if you’re in any way tense or anxious, tell... Read More »