10/11/2021 Caring for your elderly parents is not just about booking them a trip to the Bahamas, buying expensive gifts for their anniversary, or making sure they follow the doctor’s orders. It’s beyond that. There comes a point where you need to make a tough decision around their finances and downsizing. It’s not particularly an exciting subject to discuss but it’s a topic that must be broached all the same and with empathy, while laying out all available options. One of such options is an independent senior living community.
An independent senior living community is a housing arrangement for seniors or retirees who desire an active lifestyle without the cost of managing a home. It offers basic housekeeping services and in some cases, emergency alert systems. However, it doesn’t cater for activities of daily living (ADLs).
Discovery Village communities also provide care for seniors with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia and have varied specialized services in addition to the basic services offered by other independent senior living communities.
Having the Talk with Your Aging ParentsThere’s a chance your aging parents have subconsciously pushed off this topic. There are a few reasons for this:
- Downsizing means they will declutter and they do not want to do that just yet because of the fond memories built around their possessions.
- Bringing up their finances and asking uncomfortable questions about wills, insurance policies, mortgages, debts and tax is too much to grapple with.
- They don’t think they are ready yet. Some aging parents are convinced they are as fit as a fiddle, so why should anyone talk about finances and downsizing now?
1. Test the WatersFind out beforehand how they would react to discussions around their finances and the idea of downsizing by creating hypothetical situations. This could be during a light-hearted conversation, while watching a movie or walking them to their friend’s. That way, you can tell what exactly you’re up against. It gives a preview to their resistance level.
2. Be FactualIt could get emotional talking about downsizing, relocating, will and wealth distribution but state why it’s necessary to plan ahead of time. Provide the necessary information as it relates to legal support and professional assistance. You must have done your homework beforehand so you can have ready answers to plausible questions and allay their fears.
3. Carry Them AlongEven for aging parents who are suffering from memory loss or illnesses that affect their cognitive abilities, it’s only fair you include them in the planning and execution. Run every strategy by them and ask for their opinions too. Give them the room to tell you their expectations and challenges.
4. Give Them TimeDon’t expect that both parents would be on the same page with you immediately. Don’t push for them to take a stand all at once. Give them the required information and let them make research by themselves if they wish to.
5. Involve Other Family MembersIt’s more effective when there’s a united, formidable front. Other family members should assist in outlining the importance of downsizing and planning their finances to your parents. This can be during reunions, birthday parties or thanksgiving.
6. Be Respectful and EmpatheticIn being concerned, don’t lean towards pity or outright condescension. Don’t make it look like you don’t trust their judgement or respect their views. Assure them that you’re always going to care for them no matter what option they choose.
7. The Earlier, the BetterIt’s necessary to guard against procrastination. “Convenient time” is a myth because there’s really never a convenient time. We only make time for what we deem as a priority.
Learn More About Services for Seniors at Discovery VillageDiscovery Village offers programs for seniors recovering from injuries, those needing assistance with ADLs, and services for residents who only desire the camaraderie of communal living.
Some of our services include but not limited to:
- Independent senior living
- Senior assisted living
- SHINE® Memory Care
- Discovery Village At Alliance Town Center
- Discovery Village At Boynton Beach
- Discovery Village At Castle Hills
- Discovery Village At Deerwood
- Discovery Village At Dominion
- Discovery Village At Melbourne
- Discovery Village At Naples
- Discovery Village At Palm Beach Gardens
- Discovery Village At Sandhill
- Discovery Village At Sarasota Bay
- Discovery Village At Southlake
- Discovery Village At Stuart
- Discovery Village At Sugarloaf
- Discovery Village At Tampa Palms
- Discovery Village At The Forum
- Discovery Village At Twin Creeks
- Discovery Village At Westchase
- Discovery Village At West End
Our community lets you discover what world-class senior living in Melbourne, Fl has to offer. Discovery Village At Melbourne provides a variety of senior living options that offer specialized care and service tailored to take care of your individual needs. Our supervised independent living, assisted…